What is a breast pump?
A breast pump is a tool used to extrude breast milk accumulated in the breast. It is generally suitable when the baby is unable to suck breast milk directly, or if the mother’s nipple has problems, and although she is still working, she still wants breastfeeding.
The breast pump has an electric type and a manual type. The manual type is divided into a push type, a simple rubber ball type and a syringe type. The electric type can stimulate the milk array and the non-irritating milk array, and also separate the single pump and the double pump.
How can we use it?
1, Before sucking the milk, warm the breast with a fumigated towel and massage the areola to make the breast fully expand;
2, according to the suction of their own conditions, to suck milk;
3, the principle of sucking milk is about 8 minutes; (time should be controlled within 20 minutes)
4, Stop breastfeeding when there is pain in the breasts and nipples.
How to suck milk
- Choose a leisure time that you won’t be disturbed;
- Let the baby lie on your side, or put a picture of the baby around, which will help the mother relax and suck;
- Use a hot towel to warm your breasts for a few minutes before breastfeeding, which helps the milk to flow out and relieve pain;
- Mild and relaxed state is conducive to the outflow of milk, you can try to suck milk after bathing;
- When the baby is breastfeeding, use a breast pump on the other side of the breast, or use a breast pump to suck the milk after the baby has finished eating;
- The position of the breast pump on the breast can be changed frequently to stimulate the breast;
- Practice using the breast pump until you find the best fit, but when using a breast pump to cause pain, stop and consult a doctor immediately.
Cleaning and disinfection
Before using the breast pump every time:
Please disassemble all components and wash them with a dishwasher or a neutral detergent. Do not use fungicides or detergents, then put them in a steam sterilizer for disinfection or boiling in boiling water for five minutes.
Keep the breast pump in a sterile state while on the go:
- When the baby is full and the milk in the breast is not empty, use a breast pump to absorb excess milk.
- The baby is too small or too weak to suck the nipple.
- Breastfeeding mothers cannot breastfeed on time, so that when the milk is full.
- The nipple is ruptured or split and the pain cannot be used to feed the baby directly.
- During breastfeeding mothers taking certain drugs that may be harmful to the baby, breastfeeding should be stopped. At this time, the milk should be sucked out by the breast pump on time.
- The use of breast pump Before using milk, use hot towel to heat the breast, massage to stimulate the areola, and let the breast completely open;
- Milking at a pressure suitable for you;
- Just squeeze out the amount of eight points for milking (maximum time should not exceed 20 minutes);
- Stop breast milk when the breast or nipple feels pain;
- Precautions for using a breast pump Wash your hands before milking or handling breast milk;
- Use a container with a lid when storing breast milk;
- Remove breast milk that has been refrigerated for more than 72 hours;
- Do not put refrigerated breast milk and fresh breast milk together;
- Thaw the refrigerated breast milk or put it in a bowl of warm water for warming before being used for feeding;
- Do not use the microwave to thaw the breast milk or directly heat the breast milk to feed the child. Because the heat is distributed unevenly, it is easy to burn the child’s tongue. In addition, high temperature heating will also destroy some nutrients in breast milk;
- Do not refrigerate breast milk. If the child can’t finish the weight of the meal, the rest will be disposed of. The thawed breast milk cannot be used after 24 hours.